Clear Stream

Clear Stream

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Disenfranchised

I was recently urged to join the AMA because it's the only organization that represents and battles for doctors' issues. Wrong-o. And that they've helped in getting certain things into PPACA. Wrong-o again. I have learned that the AMA secured many under-the-table promises that were denied later or flat out ignored. If you make a bargain with the Devil don't be shocked when he fails to keep his end. I just cannot relate to wanting to be part of a huge neo-fascist organization that revels in its bureaucracy and dogma. I'd rather go for a walk.

Why was I receiving nearly weekly letters in the mail to buy auto insurance through the AMA? Or more billing/coding manuals? Or phone calls from their sales dept. pushing the latest book---I got fed up long ago. Now I just view that organization the same way I view the cast of "Jersey Shore"--with benign amusement tempered by the taste of bile rising in my throat.

The recent sinking of that Italian cruiser reminded me that oftentimes, forced enjoyment may bring forced pain. I would rather read a quiet book on my recliner with my polarfleece throw and a cup of Earl Grey than be on a cruise ship anywhere in January. When asked where I go on vacation, I often say, where the people aren't. I love New York, Rome, Madrid, etc. but when I need to relax and recharge I go to the places where nobody ever goes or writes about. Of course I wouldn't divulge my secrets because then they wouldn't be secret anymore, right :-)???